A running project to create a special strategy game

Just BASIC Games
Akos

A running project to create a special strategy game

Post by Akos »

Hi,

I was looking for a place for my running project. It will be a strategy board game, but now it is just the beginning of it.
I could call it a demo, but as I advance with the coding, I will surely have plenty of problems and bugs, and will ask for help in the forums.

Right now, I have no question and no problem, but I'm open to any comments and suggestions. And I'm ready to discuss any part of the code.
Attachments
ltbt.zip
(582.18 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Last edited by Akos on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:01 am, edited 20 times in total.
Akos

first update

Post by Akos »

The terrain creation window is ready now.

When you have generated or loaded a map, you can manually change the relief before the temperature, rainfall and soil maps are generated.
Akos

Post by Akos »

The species creation window is ready. Though the instant help is missing yet... (I'm still thinking about it, which way I should make that help.)
I have also made a species file (Birch.spc), for those who have no idea how the form should be filled in.
The AI button is not working since there is no AI yet... (for Welopez: no illusion of AI :wink: )

I have also changed the terrain creation... Now there are some seas on the map. It's quite a fun to experiment with the altitude/depth and see how the shape of seas is changing.

To avoid those sharp rectangular seasides, I rounded the bays. Next, I will also round the peninsulas.

Any ideas, suggestions are welcome.
Akos

Post by Akos »

The species creation window is working now. All buttons are functioning, except for the AI (that comes later).

There are two pre-made species, birch and beech, that you can load if you don't feel like setting all parameters yourself.

There is also a help accessible to make everything more understandable. Let me know, if something is still not clear... (There may be also some spelling / grammar mistakes.)

The game is now just at he point where the actual fun would begin. So, unfortunately, no fun yet...
Akos

Post by Akos »

I've updated the file.
I have a problem now. In the main window, the border of groupboxes is not around the radiobuttons. The upper border runs just through the radiobuttons. No idea, why?
Akos

Post by Akos »

New update.
Some parts of the code are made more efficient. The main game window is finished, the left hand graphicbox is for the nature-related thematic maps, the right hand one for the species distribution in the various storeys of the forest.
The first symbolic act of the actual game is the planting of the first seedling. I hope I managed to make it easy doable. Success is signalled by a gong. (The new seedling is displayed by a single pixel in the right hand map.) Then the next player(s) can do the same, and the next turn begins.
Coding the natural processes for the "next turn" will be one of the most exciting and most important part. And it will take much time too...
Akos

Post by Akos »

Update again...
Well, the game is still not in the phase where you could enjoy it as a game, but slowly I'm getting really near to that part.
Now the beginning of the "next turn phase" is working. The game checks the water and nutrition demands of the species and compares them to the rainfall and the soil conditions. This way it decides whether the planted species can survive at all. If yes, it calculates whether the seedling can grow up into the understorey-level or not. The further parts are missing: the growing up to the upper storey, then the seeds falling to the ground, and finally the germination of the seeds. And the most exciting is missing too: the divine interventions eg. hurricanes, forest fires... So quite a lot. :(
A new feature: the control settings panel. Here you can set which players should be inactive (out of 6) and which should be human-controlled and which ai-controlled.
Akos

Post by Akos »

I haven't given up the project, only had some trouble finding time to work on it...

Now, the basic framework of the "next turn phase" is ready: Seedlings grow up to the understorey - trees of the understorey grow up to the overstorey - trees of the overstorey grow seeds - the seeds are scattered around, germinate, and "grow up" to the level of seedlings.
The various levels of forest are displayed on the right hand map. You can change the view by clicking on the radiobuttons.

There is an "Events' report" that informs you about all important events in every zone of the map. Now, it serves the purpose of bug-hunting and control. Later it will give information only about one singe zone, that zone that the player is most interesed in.
This Events' report shows you all important factors that influence the survival and expansion of species. Until now, I coded only a couple of the factors (eg. water, soil, stand density), later all variables of the species creation will be used (eg. frost resistance, immune system). Coding this is the most important part of the game, since I want to simulate "nature" as good as possible. So I have to consider all factors carefully, and this takes much time.

In the next time I'm going to "take up" all those factors one by one in the model. Plus, there is also a bug that I have to filter out: the stand density can grow above 100% now.

Oh, I nearly forgot about one thing: the trees may die when the site is not proper for them. This is also valid for your first seedling, so be careful if you want to test the game. I suggest choosing a birch and placing it to some place where the soil and water conditions are not too bad.
Akos

Post by Akos »

There is a new update after a long time...
I've made several smaller changes on the game, in the meantime. The events in the next-turn-phase are a bit different now, and the "Events' report" is more understandable (though I'm sure it's far from being perfect). I've also worked a bit on the helpfiles.
Akos

Post by Akos »

Hi everybody,
I'm still alive, was only rather busy lately.
Anyhow I haven't forgotten about this project.

There are several smaller changes, also some simplifications, and some "polishing" to make the game a bit more understandable. The "Events' report" has also a better structure now. The parameters of frost-resistance, strength-of-immune-system and shade-tolerance are now implemented in the model. The height function will be simplified a bit, and maybe some parameters will be deleted at all.

I'll try to update more regularly than before.
AndyAmaya

Post by AndyAmaya »

Hi Akos!

Just DL'd the latest version and will take a look at it because I like your terrain generating code. One thing that may help me and others as well, is a brief outline of what the object of the game is or will do when completed.

Keep up the good work :)

Andy
Akos

Post by Akos »

Hi Andy,

should you have problems with understanding the terrain generating code, just let me know.

A brief description of the game...
Have you already read the help files? You can reach them from the game itself (help menu), or you could just use any text-editor to open the .hlp files (they are actually unformatted textfiles, like .txt-s are).
Or if a very-very short description is also enough, just look at the "intro.bmp" file.

And thanks for the feedback.

Akos
AndyAmaya

Post by AndyAmaya »

Hi Akos,

I did read the help file while in the GUI, however all I get is that you are to plant a tree, determine the optimal parameters for it's growth and propagation. What I didn't get was what type of tree to plant and what are the valid choices for tree species (along with their genus-species names).

Another thing that stopped me from further exploration of your game is that when I entered the percentage values for the different tree growth parameters, I kept getting an error notice that said the percentaged needed to total 100%. There are 9 parameters for both sides of the screen so I entered 11% for eight parameters and 12% for the ninth. (8 x 11% = 88%, 88% + 12% = 100%). Perhaps a little more code logic to tell the player what the incorrect percentage is and that only 100% is accepted.

example:
Your percentage totaled 125%, only 100% is allowed.

At any rate it's a very unique concept and wish you well in it's completion.

Andy
Akos

Post by Akos »

Hi Andy,

there are 7 help files already (and will be even more), one for every part or aspect of the game. Probably you have read the one about the species creation.
If you click help in the terrain creation window, you get another help, and yet another in the small popup-window where you can set the players (human/ai/inactive), etc.
In the main window however, there is a help menu, where a list of all available helps is shown. There you can read them all. (Or just look at all "*.hlp" files.)

In the species creation window, you can not only create a new species, but you can also load in an already existing pre-made species-file. (Right now there is only Beech and Birch.)

The percents should be not more than 100%, when all parameters in BOTH groupboxes are added up.

Here is a help file that gives you (and others) a general overview about the main features of the game:

GENERAL INFORMATION
===================

Let There Be Trees 1.0 is a transition between a playful fiction and a scientific
model. It is a hybrid from a strategy game and a simulation.

The basic conception is as follows:

The gods are playing a special board game. First, they create a geographical terrain
as a board, then each of them creates a private tree species as a game piece. The
actual game begins as they place their pieces (a single seedling each) on the board.
Time flies (decades are seconds to gods), and the trees grow seeds and begin to
occupy the hillsides and valleys. Soon, they encounter and war is inevitable.

War?!

Soil and water and even the sunlight are getting short in the closed jungle. And
restricted resources always lead to war...
Of course this war is different, there are no guns and bombs, but an overshadowing
branch of a higher neighbour can be a deadly weapon as well.

But where is here the game? What do the gods do? Just watching 'National Geographic'?

Of course, they may intervene and can cause various "natural" phenomena (eg. forest
fires, storms, climate change), to ensure advantage to their private species or to
cancel the negative effects of the actions of their fellow-gods. Naturally, like
everything, also this divine intervention has its limits. Each phenomenon has its
price, and so the gods must make good use of their resources. And funnily enough,
these resources are derived just from the creatures! Thus, gods and species depend
on each other, they win or lose together. (Details later.)

To sum up, there is a war on two levels. The tree species fight for hegemony
according to the laws of nature, while the gods use "wonders" (according to the rules
of economy) to influence the outcome of the fight. Ecology and economy. These are
the fundamental principles of the game.
Akos

Post by Akos »

I've made a lot of changes on the code, some simplifications, some new features, but when you look at the game from outside, there is little visible from this.
Anyhow I uploaded this version to just to have a backup copy in a secure place.

Calculating the effects of winds/storms makes the game process a bit slow when a relatively great part of the map is occupied by trees. Now it may seem that the game is "freezing", but it's not, just the calculations last long. I will have to make some simplifications to make it faster.