What do I do with all of the unzipped files?

How to's and rules for uploading, or downloading, files in the Just BASIC Files archives.
Please read before uploading or downloading files.
TyCamden

What do I do with all of the unzipped files?

Post by TyCamden »

When I download a simple zipped BAS... no problem. Double click it, and it runs in Just Basic.

However, on the more complex programs with multiple files (EX: http://jbusers.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1107) I just dont know what to do.

Help please.
stpendl
Site Admin

Post by stpendl »

If you download a ZIP file, always extract the files from the archive (compressed folder) to a real folder.
JB does not support working from within a compressed folder.

It is always best to keep the files inside the ZIP archive untouched as a backup of the original files.
Stefan
The invisible Admin
TyCamden

still confused

Post by TyCamden »

I am very new at this. So please bear with me.

After I open the zip and see all of the files, do I drag them all into a new folder that I should make on my desktop? Specifically, what should I do?

I want to be able to run the program from JB.
stpendl
Site Admin

Post by stpendl »

The ZIP archive file is a virtual folder for newer Windows versions, but they are not working the same as regular folders.
The file you select will be extracted to a temporary location, but the others will stay inside the ZIP archive file.

A ZIP archive is a file in reality, but is displayed as a virtual folder in explorer.

Every thing you download from the net, which is related to JB should go into one location under the My Documents folder (Windows XP and older) or the Documents folder (Windows Vista and newer).

Create a folder named JustBASIC inside one of the locations above and place all your downloads for JB there.

From the context menu of the ZIP archive select extract, as the destination create a new folder under the JustBASIC folder created above.
It is best to name it the same as the ZIP archive, so you better know, what is inside of it.

In general you can use drag-and-drop too.
Stefan
The invisible Admin
TyCamden

unzipped files

Post by TyCamden »

I get it now, but I chose to handle as follows:

When I unzip a file from this forum, I create a new folder in my C:\Program Files\Just BASIC v1.01\games with the name of the program I am grabbing. Then I drag all of the files from the unzip folder into the new folder I created in games. It works! :)

Do you think My Documents would have been a better place?

Also, once we wrap up this conversation, perhaps keep this posting (or something similar) as a Sticky post. To help others in the future who have similar problems.
stpendl
Site Admin

Post by stpendl »

In general, the program files folder structure is meant to contain only applications, not user created data.

It is much easier to backup your files, if they are located in their own folder structure, which usually is inside the My Documents location.

Scattering the files all over the program files folders is not a good idea in this context.

I do create daily and weekly backups and I only have to backup one folder with it's content, because I use the My Documents folder structure to save anything I create or download.

In addition Windows Vista and newer systems will enforce the folder structure usage, which was introduced with Windows 95.
Stefan
The invisible Admin